13 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 2 LinkedIn 11 Google+ 0 13 Flares ×

We’ve all been there, wondering if the not-so-loving feelings we’re having about our jobs are a phase or if they require action. picjumbo.com_IMG_0541Avoiding the topic only adds stress.

The good news? Clarity can make all the difference. This list will provide that to you.

If you’re in a position that does it for you, congratulations! You have what we all want. If not, hope is not lost. There is a way to better enjoy your career, whether in your current job or a new one. And, it’s easier than you may think.

As you go through the list, be honest with yourself. Reflection is the foundation to taking smart action.

You’ve outgrown your current job if:

1. The stress you feel about your job is taking a toll on you physically. You feel restless, you aren’t sleeping well, your health is suffering.

2. You’ve begun to question yourself and your abilities; you’re not clear you CAN find another or better position. This is a sign you’ve stopped being challenged and you’re no longer growing in your job.

3. Your reason for staying at this job is money, title or security. In other words, it’s safe.

4. You’ve got the Sunday night dreads, not blues, and have a difficult time psyching yourself up to go into the office. In fact, thinking about the week pretty much ruins your Sunday.

5. While you do your job well, you have no real passion for your work.

6. You don’t feel like yourself in and outside of work. For example, you’re irritable, you’ve become a loner, you feel constant resentment, etc.

7. Your healthy stress-relief tactics aren’t working (working out, time with friends, yoga) and negative alternatives have taken their place (over-drinking, over-eating, wasting away your free time).

8. The culture and/or vision of your company no longer fit with your own (think growth and values).

9. Your daily duties and requirements don’t light you up (being good at Excel doesn’t mean you love spreadsheets!).

10. You know in your gut that you have more to offer and that your skills and passions can and should be used in a different way. Potential sitting on the sidelines: a soul killer.

Score time…

If you’ve checked more than 6 of the above, it’s time to make a change. Luckily, this doesn’t mean slowing down, adding more to your plate or more stress.

design (3)It’s common to feel dissatisfied with your career at different stages of life. The worst thing you can do is realize it and do nothing. We all deserve a career that we’re great at, that’s in our sweet spot and that give us what we want.

When you’re in the right job:

• Time flies at work- you’re energized, focused and into what you’re doing (at least part of the time).
  • You’re functioning “in your zone” and know that no one can do what you’re doing the way you’re doing it.
  • When you think about work outside of work hours, you don’t feel overwhelmed with stress.
  • Your career is on a trajectory that feels right to you.
  • You’re playing an active part in creating opportunities for your career.
  • You feel yourself growing professionally and personally.
  • You feel challenged and surprise yourself with what you can and do accomplish.
  • Your accomplishments are recognized and rewarded.
  • You spend a healthy amount of time at work and have time to enjoy your personal life.
  • The company’s purpose and vision are in alignment with your own.

It’s possible to get what you want out of your career while still getting ahead. Trust me, I’ve helped dozens make it a reality.

What you often need is an expert set of eyes on your situation, someone to help you see your potential and show you how to package it to make an impact.

Your potential is your power. (Tweet this!)

The most forward-thinking women are tailoring their careers to fit them rather than waiting for the perfect fit to show up. Stay a step ahead and learn to identify and communicate your potential. You’ve got something the world needs. It’s time to put it out there and play big!

Your turn: what are signs you’re in the right or wrong job? Share in the comments below!

Speaking of expert eyes on your situation..you’ve come to the right place, my friend! Dedicated to helping women find success without sacrificing who they are, I’ve created a fun and easy way to Discover Your Signature Style: a leadership assessment tool helping you create a career that fits like a glove. Think Buzzfeed survey meets personality test meets career advice. I’ve got TONS of insider knowledge from years as a VP for a Fortune 500 company that I’m dying to share with you! Consider me to be your secret weapon, your personal career stylist to help you identify what comes naturally to you so you can design your own success. Click here to get started!

Action Advancement Career Development Change Growth Happiness Impact Reinvention

• Leanne Chesser October 29, 2014, 7:42 pm

Can I ever relate to the signs you’ve outgrown your job! All but one are exactly how I felt before I left to build my business. And now I experience the “right job” signs :).

• Anne Omland October 30, 2014, 12:50 pm

Nice! And now you do work that is inspiring so I say- good move!

• victoria m. October 29, 2014, 9:01 pm

Interesting… first off, thank you for this opportunity for insight.

I don’t hate my job enough to consider a career change, but I certainly feel that I am in the process of outgrowing it. More specifically, I am outgrowing some of the rules and constrictions that my job puts on me…

I feel like at this point I am experiencing a combination of reasons I need a career change and still thriving in my current environment. The truth of the matter is that I am working on becoming self-employed and I don’t care to leave my current job for another j.o.b.

• Anne Omland October 30, 2014, 12:49 pm

It’s even harder to have to leave a job when you don’t hate it, you’ve simply outgrown it. Like in a relationship that’s run it’s course but there’s nothing “wrong.”

I think it’s awesome you’re working toward starting your own business. I’m here if you want to chat about it. Good luck to you! x

• Sabrina Bolin October 29, 2014, 9:43 pm

Oh I love this simple checklist Anne – and especially love you acknowledge that it’s ok for a few things to be a little out of balance as long as most of them in line!

As an intuitive coach and hypnotherapist who LOVES the work she does, I will admit that it has its less than ideal moments.

But overall, it’s aligned, it’s empowering, and it sparks my passion like nothing else…kudos to you for bringing the importance of this to light so that more women can say the same.

• Anne Omland October 30, 2014, 12:47 pm

Thanks Sabrina. I think we’re sometimes convinced that if we love our work or our job, it’ll always feel great. Or the other way around, if we hate it, it’s likely that work will always suck. Not the case! Thanks for sharing that it’s possible to love the work you do and still have not so loving moments.

• Mike Goncalves October 30, 2014, 2:20 pm

Another great post Anne, and spot on with all of these signs. I’ve experienced many of them you’ve mentioned here. Luckily now, I’m experiencing signs that my business is they right one for me. Time definitely flies when I’m working on new material that I’m excited about and believe in. I’m more energized, focused and into what I’m doing for sure. That’s how I know it’s right. Excellent checklist you’ve put together here, very helpful for sure. Cheers! :)

• Anne Omland November 3, 2014, 2:26 pm

And it’s so obvious that you are, Mike. You can feel it in the work you do that you’re really into it. Love that. Thanks Mike!

• Stacey October 30, 2014, 5:08 pm

Wow – how I identify with the signs of outgrowing your job…thankfully those signs led me to quit my job as a dietitian almost 3 years ago, and I’ve never looked back! The feeling of your stomach turning, the Sunday blues, not feeling like yourself anymore, etc.!! Spot on…thankfully now I am in the right spot. And while I sometimes feel frustrated with how long it takes to build a successful coaching practice, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I am growing and living in alignment with my passion!!

• Anne Omland November 3, 2014, 2:25 pm

Isn’t crazy how clear it is once we’re not in it? While we’re in it we’re in a state of denial.

Working in line with your passions- so inspirational!

• Erin Chumas October 30, 2014, 5:14 pm

Hi Anne, I love how you broke this down into 10 easily-identifiable signs it’s time to move on. I have had so many friends come to me feeling stuck and uninspired, and often sick about their jobs. I will definitely point them in the direction of this piece next time. It is so helpful!

• Anne Omland November 3, 2014, 2:23 pm

Thanks Erin! I hope it helps them!

• Lora October 30, 2014, 5:19 pm

This is so true. It’s funny how some things change. For example, I used to love creating landscape designs, but when I moved cities I found that I started dreading it. Now I just do it at all and this makes me happy!

• Anne Omland November 3, 2014, 2:21 pm

You’re right- sometimes a change in environment can make it all more clear. Thanks Lora!

• Silvia October 31, 2014, 3:36 pm

Anne, What a spot on list to help gauge your feelings. I remember when I was in my corporate job, my feelings matched everything on your list. I wish I had you to council me back then.

Now. decades later, after a more traditional career as a chef, I’m feeling another shift that’s more than a career move but rather a calling. It’s not motivated by money or even creativity but something that extends from the core of my being that I simply cannot not do. So even the outcome has faded away. Where it will lead is a great unknown…I’m simply allowing myself to be led there (which is exactly what happened when I went from the corporate world to the foodie world). There’s a wonderful freedom in this!

• Anne Omland November 3, 2014, 2:20 pm

I love this, Silvia! I can’t wait to see where you’re being led. I’m inspired by and love the idea of going where you feel called versus moving toward a goal. Only good can come of it doing it your way. Good luck, although you won’t need it!

• Lily October 31, 2014, 5:44 pm

Anne, I especially love this one: “When you think about work outside of work hours, you don’t feel overwhelmed with stress.” It’s so crucial to find something you love and to also set up your schedule and workflow to leave you feeling good, not stressed!

• Anne Omland November 3, 2014, 2:18 pm

Yes! Thanks Lily!

• Beth October 31, 2014, 6:43 pm

I experienced all of these signs before I finally quit my job to freelance. My health was suffering to the point where I was seeing a specialist for stomach problems, which miraculously disappeared once I quit!

• Anne Omland November 3, 2014, 2:18 pm

I hear you! I had stomach issues for years that I hadn’t tied to the stress of my job until after I’d left. My body was literally fighting me because I wasn’t protecting it. So glad you were able to save yourself by getting out at the right time!

• farah November 2, 2014, 1:04 pm

Yes, I felt this way for sure, before I stepped away, and even felt it with some freelance work I was doing afterwards! I didn’t hate teaching, though it was stressful, I had just got as far as I wanted to go and I had other things I wanted to explore, like having my own business. It was a big leap, and ‘safety’ is a basic need. It is all about clarity, whether employed or self-employed which leads to fulfilment :)

• Anne Omland November 3, 2014, 2:16 pm

Safety is a basic need- love that. It’s so true. We want to feel safe but then have to push ourselves outside of that safety so we can grow. Thanks Farah!

• April November 2, 2014, 6:01 pm

As usual, you hit the nail on the head Anne! I’ve experienced almost every “symptom” you listed for both the outgrown job and the perfect one. This is an important topic. The work you are doing is necessary and so beneficial. Thanks for sharing your talents!

• Anne Omland November 3, 2014, 2:15 pm

Thanks April!

• nichole November 3, 2014, 5:39 pm

Spot on Anne!
    I would have said YES to more than 6 of these signs, a few years back, reading your list back then, might have helped me realise the mess I was in, sooner than I did. I’m sharing it with a couple of friends, still trapped in the corporate word.

• Anne Omland November 5, 2014, 11:42 pm

Thanks Nichole! I hope it’s helpful to them.

• april November 4, 2014, 2:02 am

i feel myself growing professionally and personally in my job, and i also feel challenged and rewarded. but, since i work for myself, there are a few pesky details to my business i’d rather not do (like ALL of the techie stuff!). overall though, i am so very happy to be able to direct my own day and immerse myself in work i love to do. thanks, anne!

• Anne Omland November 5, 2014, 11:41 pm

I totally agree! The tech stuff makes me feel like I’m losing it on a regular basis. You’re not alone :)

• Elise November 4, 2014, 1:10 pm

Anne! thank you for this insightful list. It reminds me of when I practiced law, and towards the end, I dreaded going to work each day. This post reminded me that even if things do get tough as a business owner, I am happier than when I worked for someone else and better off to be in a position where I feel more freedom. Great post, as usual!

• Anne Omland November 5, 2014, 11:40 pm

What an inspiration! It’s easy to see how much you love what you do now- it comes across! Thanks so much, Elise!

• Michelle Hutchinson February 16, 2015, 6:44 pm

Great check list. I think when your job becomes a paycheck, something you basically punch in and punch out of that’s a true sign. When you don’t put anything more into it than what is required to get that paycheck. If you truly love what you do you can do it anytime and you’ll put in whatever time it takes because you enjoy it that much!

• Anne Omland February 18, 2015, 2:05 pm

Great point Michelle. I often notice that- the lack of initiative, sometimes from an ambitious person- as being a giant sign. Thanks for joining the convo!

13 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 2 LinkedIn 11 Google+ 0 13 Flares ×